Monday, February 7, 2011

FEU-NRMF Interview

On February 5, I attended a pre-interview orientation at Far Eastern University-Nicanor Reyes Memorial Foundation (FEU-NRMF). It was my first time to attend a medical school orientation and I found it really great and exciting. The school introduced us to their curriculum, teaching methods, achievements and department heads. They also briefed us regarding the interview proper the next day. After that, the doctors toured us in their hospital. I was really more than happy and excited to see a typical hospital setting in the city. They presented their new facilities and laboratories as well. But I was expecting of rare diseases or cases and not the usual lifestyle disease of the rich people but more than anything else, it was the first time I felt as if I am already a medical student attending to the needs of those people (excited c; ).

The next day is a half-day interview for more than 700 applicants. It was not a 1:1 interview. There were two resident doctors and four interviewees at the same time. We were graded according to four categories: Personality, Communication Skills, Motivation and Insights. It was like a fine exchange of insights/thoughts and not the usual mind-contorting Q and A but it seemed like we really need to sell ourselves to them in order for them to select us. The only thing they asked us was: Say something about yourself. My co-interviewees were all girls; 1 from Siliman University , another one from UP Diliman and Manila Central University . The first girl even cried as she was sharing her experience as a nurse in a private hospital. The two were still students. As for my turn, I established eye contact first and greet them. I told them that I am John Mark Katindig Torres, graduate of BS Bio Major in Microbiology from UPLB. I came from Bulacan and I am a scholar of Assumption Development Foundation. What motivates me to pursue medicine is to follow my late grandfather. Even though he’s been dead for years, people still commend him for everything he has done. The only thing I can leave here on Earth is a legacy of compassion and service. I have personally observed the clinical situation in our place. We have no permanent government doctor to promote and support public health programs. It’s either they wait for the next schedule or they have to cross to the nearby town to seek medications.
I recounted, To be a doctor has always been my dream and everyday it grows stronger as I meet people of different outlooks in life. As I grew up, I realized that it’s not just simply fulfilling my dream, it’s actually more of developing myself as a model of service and inspiration to others. I was saying these final words (as far as I could remember) when the interviewer interrupted me and said the Philippines would be grateful to see us 6 years from now. I am pretty sure we all have convinced them to have us in their list. Well, again, hope everything goes according to plan. I surrender them to God. I believe the results will be released on February 18 [really fast, eh].

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.